Opening career opportunities in Los Angeles

Many people dream of having the opportunity to gain knowledge as well as a career in Los Angeles, United States. With a quality education system in the Los Angeles, as well as a city with a strong economy, the job market in the Los Angeles is never quiet.

The United States has strong industries in the economic, financial, and banking and media sectors. This also triggers job opportunities for international students. In temp agencies Los Angeles there is the option of working part-time on campus during the first year of study.

International students in the Los Angeles, United States can work on campus for up to 20 hours per week. Many of them use this time to do internships or take part in practical training. Almost every university, even those not located in

big cities have dedicated staff dedicated to assisting their students to find internships. All universities in the United States also offer extra-curricular activities that provide material about real-world work experiences.

career opportunities in Los Angeles
career opportunities in Los Angeles

In addition, there are other options that appeal to many students by expanding their learning experience through study abroad programs or student exchanges throughout the semester or in the summer. These programs are mostly offered by universities as well as study abroad education providers.

In the United States, international students holding F-1 visas, upon graduation can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows them to work in their chosen field for 12 to 24 months. Even some companies are ready to sponsor international students to get H1-B Temporary Worker Visas. This visa allows them to continue to live in the United States while they work for the company.

Most educational institutions in the United States have career services departments that are run by professionals with the aim of helping students compile their resumes, teaching job interview skills, and helping them find job opportunities. Given the tantalizing prospects for employment in the United States, here are some things you should know if you want a career in the United States.

Grace period

After your student visa expires, you will enter a grace period or “grace period” to leave America, extend your visa or apply for a new visa. For the grace period, you can stay before leaving the United States, depending on the type of student visa you have, for F-1 visa holders are allowed to stay for 60 days, while M-1 and J-1 visa holders are only allowed to stay for 30 days.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Work Visa

International students who have graduated and want to stay in the United States after studying have two options, namely, apply for OPT or apply for a work visa.


F1 visa holders are allowed to complete temporary work for 1 year in fields related to the field of study. This permit is valid once for each level of study. For example, you will receive 1 OPT permit once you complete your Bachelor’s degree, and 1 more time after completing your Master’s degree.

OPT submission

You will need to submit the OPT I-20 form at your university. If accepted, the university will administer the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). You will then receive the new immigration documents needed to obtain the OPT by submitting it to US immigration.

Work visa

The most common type of work visa that international students can obtain is the Temporary Working Visa (H-1B). With this visa, you can stay in the United States for 3 years, and it can be extended up to 6 years.

Work Visa Application Process

International graduates who have obtained a bachelor’s degree, cannot apply for this visa in person. They are required to have received a job offer first, and later the company where they work will apply for the work visa.

Green Card

If you wish to settle permanently in America, you will need a ‘Green Card’. As with a work visa, the company you work for must apply for this for you.

Job Vacancy Information

For information on job vacancies in the United States, you can find them from a variety of sources. There are two types of information on job vacancies in the United States, namely, limited job information and general job information. The following is an explanation of the two types of information.

  • Limited job vacancies information

This type of job information is called a “hidden market”. Job vacancies information on type is not advertised publicly and is usually broadcast via connections, or through your university. Many universities have career fairs, and this is a great opportunity for you to build connections. On this occasion, you can chat, ask for business cards, or get a leak about positions that are currently vacant or will be opened at companies participating in the career fair.

In addition, joining many organizations or societies that are relevant to your field of study, it is also very helpful to find out about job vacancies that are available but not open to the public.

  • General job vacancies information

This type of work information is called an “Open Market”. Many companies post job vacancies publicly on many sites such as IdeaList, USA Jobs, or the American Job Center. You can also find available job vacancies at many local sources such as Los Angeles Times job boards or Boston Jobs Today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *